Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

My Own Extended Warranty Plan Story

The cursor on the screen just blinks at you?

In 2001 my Mom bought a desktop computer to learn how to organize her genealogy research.  I lived in Southern Oregon at the time while Mom lived in the Bay Area 6 hours away.  On a visit to Oregon she sees a sale and decides to buy her computer from me.  Of course I fixed her up with everything she needed, including a scanner, to complete her genealogy project.

My Mom struggled with the mechanics of a computer and I found myself adjusting and helping her with the technology either remotely or every time I would visit.  Then it happened!  The dreaded phone call.  The computer refused to boot up.  I listened as my Mom described her actions before this all happened.  I winced when nothing I told her to do would bring it back up.

At the time, I could not physically fix my panicked Mom's needs.  In my mind, I tried to arrange the words of disappointment that would come next because .  She just kept talking about how she didn't understand why it wouldn't just turn back on!

Just when I was about to give her the bad news, I remembered something she bought with her computer system!  "Do you still have that red brochure, the one with the receipt attached?  She rooted around in a drawer and responded with a, "Yes I do!"  I told her to call the number on the back and tell them what's going on with her computer.

The next day a computer guy (as she called him) showed up and replaced her motherboard right there in her front room. By evening she was back in business.  In this case I was glad my Mom bought a 5-year Extended Warranty Plan.  It saved me an unplanned, eventual trip down to California.  Her computer was back in service without any additional cost.

So, 10 years ago, when computers were known to crash often these plans could have been worthwhile.  Also, if you're the type that needed tech support, a plan like this could have brought some peace of mind.  However, remember this was when an average computer cost over $1,000!  Today it may be more prudent just to buy a new one and catch up with the technology.

Tomorrow, I recommend you buy an Extended Warranty Plan.  What product can that be?  It's a no-brainer!

Thanks for sharing this post with your Facebook, Twitter, or e-mail friends!


The definition of a chump:
a gullible person, a sucker; someone easily taken advantage of, the target of a scam.

Learn from a former salesperson and trainer how salespeople drive sales. Learn how to keep more money in your pocket where it belongs! There are two ends of every sales stick!  One end cries 'chump.'  The other end boasts 'champ.'  I know which end of the stick I want to be.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment