Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

How To Tell When Someone Is Lying

Lying?
Yesterday we discussed 'one' way how to expose a dishonest salesperson.  Today let's look at 'one' technique that may reveal if a person is lying to you.  This is just one facet to consider so please look for other clues like sweaty hands, crackling voice, story switching, before you decide a person is deliberately lying.

Okay, here goes... Two parts make up our brain:  left and right, logical and creative.  With our left side we calculate and store information.  With our right we create and fantasize about the possibilities!  So what, you say, everyone knows that!  Well, here's how to put that information to work for you.

When you ask a direct question the person working out the answer will use the right or left side of the brain to develop the response.  As a job interviewer, when I ask a question that refers to an experience, I want the applicant to draw that information from the 'left' side of the brain. Why? Because that is where the 'stored' memories reside.  If the answer comes from the 'right' side of the noggin then he/she may be making it up!

“Okay, okay, I get it,” you exclaim, “ but how can you tell which side of the brain the person is drawing from?'  Well, here's the secret.  It is common practice for us humans to move our eyes around when we engage in conversation.  When we answer a direct question our eyes usually gravitate to the side of the brain we are using at the time.

An answer drawn from an experience comes from the left side and hypothetical (imaginative) answers stem from the right.  So, when I ask a question that begins with, "Tell me about a time you...) I watch the eyes and take note whether they gravitate to their left or right

Again, combine this observation with other actions and remember there are always exceptions.  Be aware, a good liar can manipulate their eye movement or look straight on to deceive you.

Alright, to help me focus I use ‘my’ left or right to identify what their eyes may be telling me.  When the eyes of an applicant gravitate to 'their' right the eyes are gravitating to 'my' left!  When the eyes go to 'their' left that makes them go to 'my' right.  So why am I now trying to confuse you?  My intent is to make this simple!

When an applicant looks to my Left (his or her right) the answer may be made-up or a Lie.  So the Left means a Lie.  L/L.

When their eyes point to my Right (his or her left) the person recovers information so the response is Right.  So the Right means Right.  R/R.

Have some fun with this.   Obviously this technique gives you great leverage on the sales floor.




Thanks for sharing this post with your Facebook, Twitter, or e-mail friends!



The definition of a chump:
a gullible person, a sucker; someone easily taken advantage of, the target of a scam.

Learn from a former salesperson and trainer how salespeople drive sales. Learn how to keep more money in your pocket where it belongs! There are two ends of every sales stick!  One end cries 'chump.'  The other end boasts 'champ.'  I know which end of the stick I want to be.  How about you?

4 comments:

  1. This really works! And oh so fun to play with people. Try it on your friends . . . works with them too! No one will ever be able to lie to you again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS MARK!!!!! I've never heard it put that way... oh so helpful!!! I'm gonna have some fun with this one!!!! ;)Thanks so much for sharing!!!! ~Madison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this before, and know it to be true. But I NEVER thought of needing to expose a sales person as a liar! I feel so silly and Naive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. You're not alone Natalie! Just keep reading to become a savvy shopper!

    ReplyDelete