Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Time I Felt Like A Chump!

Here's what happen to me when I did not do my research!  A few years ago circumstances dictated that we consider extreme choices and one of those choices had to provide our living arrangements for the coming year. With a job ending, a house on the market and pressure building to decide we stopped by an RV center to just 'look!'

The first lot attendant we met was a low pressure congenial guy.  We found the perfect Motor Home for us.  It had just come in off a trade-in, great shape, low miles and the bonus of 1st year no payments made this one perfect.  When we showed interest another individual came on the scene.  This was the 'salesman!'  I even joked and stated that 'you must be the closer!'  He was good!

After he set a rapport, qualified us, and answered our objectives I told the salesman I lived three hours from home and needed to check around first.  So what did we do?  We went for a test-drive.  This is the 'puppy dog' close.  When we returned he went into the office to find out the price. He came back with a high price of $50,000.  Well I know in sales the seller always starts high!  I also knew I should check, at least, what other Motor Homes like this were going for but I was away from home.  So because of this lack of knowledge I did not know how much leeway I had to go down!  It seemed right to offer $40,000.  Twenty percent off sounded fair!  Here's the question he asked (the close,) "If I can get the price down to $40,000 do we have a deal?"

My problem: make living arrangements soon (pressure.) I couldn't drive home to do my research and return later because it might be gone (urgency, fear.) I didn't want to be embarrassed (pride) by backing down.  So I said 'yes!'  Within an hour of 'just looking' we were the proud owners of a $40,000 used Motor Home.

Don't misunderstand, our Winnebago Minnie Winnie DL has served us well... no regrets!  The point of telling you this story is if I had checked online earlier, I may have saved myself another $15,000!  Yes, there was that much price left to deal down with.

So what did I learn?  Have some fun with this.  Let me know what else you think I learned or should have learned .  What can you share about mistakes you may have made?

Thanks for sharing this post with your Facebook, Twitter, or e-mail friends!


The definition of a chump:
a gullible person, a sucker; someone easily taken advantage of, the target of a scam.

Learn from a former salesperson and trainer how salespeople drive sales. Learn how to keep more money in your pocket where it belongs! There are two ends of every sales stick!  One end cries 'chump.'  The other end boasts 'champ.'  I know which end of the stick I want to be.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment